Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My First Post Ever

So, I am very new to the entire blogging deal. But I thought I would post some introductory comments of what I want to accomplish through this blog. First, I never really thought I had much to say that anyone would ever want to read. (This still could very well be true.) But as I have reflected on this, I  am convinced that I ma not be the most profound thinker, but I have some thoughts that could help anyone who desires to finish life well.  Secondly, this blog will help me process  my own journey in finishing well. Ever since I can remember, I have desired to finish well. Yet, so many people I have known never make it. Ultimately, I believe it is the grace of God that will sustain me and allow me to finish well. I hope to point you to resources that will help you on this journey.  Lastly, the statistics are startling.  Steve Farrar in his book, Finishing Strong says that " One out of ten men finish strong."  It doesn't take long to look around and see this reality for yourself.  Dr. Robert Clinton has been studying leaders since 1982 and in his study he discovered of the 100 leaders that Scripture gives enough information about, there is only enough information to know how 49 finished.  Clinton identified 4 types of finishers: "Cut off early" Abimelech, Samson, Absalom, Ahab, Josiah, John the Baptist, and James; "Finished Poorly" Gideon, Eli, Saul, Solomon; "Finished so-so" David, Jehosophat, and Hezekiah;  "Finished well" Abraham, Job, Joseph, Caleb, Samuel, Elijah, Jeremiah, Daniel, John, Paul and Peter.  This blog will focus on how to "Finish well". And I am not presuming that I will be able to finish well. But prayerfully, by God's grace and through this journey we could see the statistic grow from 1 out of 10 finishing strong to maybe 3 or 4 out of ten. That is my prayer. That is my hope.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you started this blog! Darryl and I have been working with college students at Western Carolina University and I tell them all the time that it's not how they've started but how they finish. Of course I remember my days in CCC at Miami and think of you all. I'm continually grateful for you alls impact on our lives while we there. Can't wait to follow along on the journey. - Anne (and Darryl) Handy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. Very encouraged by your heart to reach college students. I will pray for you all.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete