Thursday, November 17, 2011

Just a thought away from ruining my life...

Only time will reveal what really happened with Jerry Sandusky at Penn State.  To say that it is  a very tragic and difficult situation is an understatement.  While I had a range of emotions when I first heard about the scandal from shock to anger to empathy to sadness, I also had fear. Now this fear was related to my own potential to fail.  You see, I sin just like Jerry. My sin may not be dressed up the same way as Jerry's, but I sin.  In fact, I have thoughts that are not always pure and holy.  I have moments in my mind that I would never want shared on this blog.  So the challenge for me is this: what do I do with my sinful thoughts?  The Apostle Paul urges us to "...take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." (2 Cor. 10:5) But he says this in the first person plural. He says "We are destroying speculations..." (NASB)  Paul is putting himself in the same category as the listener.   1 John 1:9 says that "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  John does it as well.  I have never noticed this plurality in 1 John 1:9.  John does not put himself above the need to confess his sin with the reader of this passage.   John is saying that if we confess our sins or agree with God that we have sinned, He cancels our debt.  I understand the value and necessity of confessing my sins to God.  But for the longest time, I thought confession was a personal thing between me and God. And to a certain extent it is this. But I also think there is a need confess us sins to others.  You see, I am not above failing big time in my personal and professional life.   Paul warns us in 1 Cor. 10:12 "Therefore, if anyone thinks he stands take heed lest he fall."  I am just a thought away from ruin.  The question I have for you is this: when is the last time you confessed your sin to someone? James 5:16 urges us to do so.

  If you want to read a thoughtful response to the Penn State tragedy, check out Tim Henderson's message that he gave to PSU's CRU meeting:  http://pennstatecru.org/lovefull.html

No comments:

Post a Comment