Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Zakar God's Faithfulness...

After studying Hebrew for an entire summer, I cannot recall much of what I "learned". The irony is that one of the few words I do remember is Zakar (זָכַר ) which means "to remember".  This little word is used 222 times in the Hebrew Bible.   This morning I was reminded of this word while studying Deuteronomy 8.  God says to Israel as they are preparing to enter the Promise Land to not forget the Lord who brought you out of slavery (Dt. 8:14) He is the One who led Israel through the wilderness. (Dt. 8:15-16)  Deuteronomy repeats over and over again truths that Israel had already learned.  This repetition occured because Israel had the same problem we have today in 2011. This is the problem that I suffer from on a daily basis.  He says, "Otherwise, you may say in your heart, 'My power and the strength of my hand made me this wealth."  How often I forget that all the good that I have is form the Lord.  I suffer from what I call Christian amnesia.  I tend to forgot all the ways in which God has worked in my life.  I forget God's faithfulness in countless ways.    What is the cure?  "But you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth..." (Dt. 8:18) We are to Zakar that the Lord is the One who has given us all that we have.  This is a great challenge this Thanksgiving week.  I want to spend time remembering God's faithfulness in my life.  It is because of his grace that I get to take another breath.  Before you do anything else, pause, and thank God for His faithfulness in your life.  Start a list of things you are thankful for this Thanksgiving season. How long would your list be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment