Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ralph Egli, age 88 runs 5ks

This past weekend I met a friend's dad, Ralph Egli. I was struck by the energy and vibrancy he possessed.  Not only does he know Jesus, it seems as though he has not neglected the one area that many do: the physical area.  Steven Covey argues that we need to sharpen our saw on a daily and weekly basis. This includes developing yourself mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.  At age 44, I am only half way to Ralph's age.  Yet I want to be asking my middle aged sons and daughter if they would like to join me in a 5k at age 88.  How do we get there?  We need to sharpen our saw physically now.  What you do in your 30's, 40's, 50's physically will effect your 60's, 70's, and 80's.  It seems so counter intuitive to spend time sharpening your saw physically now. But it is not. In fact, the energy and stress relief that occurs through aerobic and anaerobic exercise far out weighs the sacrifice of time. So, what have you done today to sharpen your saw?

No comments:

Post a Comment